5.20.2012

2012 Flats Challenge

This year I've decided to partake in the Flats Challenge because, well, I'm always up for a challenge. :)
I wanted to do this as cheaply as possible so I am using Rowan's acquired flannel receiving blankets (all for free) and I purchased a half dozen used Osocozy and a few random Gerber flats from a friend ($5).


I know this is going to be a challenge because I have to handwash and hang dry everything. The Osocozy and Gerber will be super easy but the flannel might present me with a few obstacles. If it doesn't seem to be working out I will probably go buy some flour sack towels to use.

For covers I've decided to use what can be bought cheaply. For me that is an Econobum cover from Cottonbabies and a (bought used) Thirsties duo wrap. The duo wrap is softening and has seen better days. I probably spent $7 or so on both covers back in the day.
I also plan on using wool and have chosen to only use a handful of covers, shorts and longies that I have made myself from wool sweaters. Total I have probably spent $5 or $6 on the materials to make them. Of course not everyone is crafty so not everyone will have this option. I didn't want to use my more expensive knit wool though, though you can certainly buy some for pretty cheap off of Spots on Hyenacart.



These are the ONLY covers I will be using all week so wish me luck!

I do plan on using our line outside to dry if the weather permits and I also plan on using our diaper sprayer though if you do not have one you could always use the extendable shower head from your shower. I do not have one of those so the diaper sprayer it will be. Rowan has mostly peanut butter BMs so not spraying is just not an option for me.
I have one snappi I will be using as well when I use the wool. I also own pins so I might bust those out.

Nighttime will be the biggest challenge. I might use a couple of pockets and stuff them with flats. Not sure yet but of course I will be updating along the way.
So sit back and enjoy the show. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so envious of both your craftiness and your wool covers. I keep wanting to get into wool but I can't afford some of the prices I see, and I have no idea how to go about making one of my own. These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affordable wool is out there!
    If you have a sewing machine you can find a free soaker pattern online and try out your own with a sweater from a local thrift shop.
    I do take custom orders for them though. ;)

    ReplyDelete